You'll find that a lot of the dialogue and interactions from the end of this chapter are recycled from the previous Chapter 13. I wasn't able to squeeze in Ghost's conversations with Captain Chicago or Brick. Your opinions on their exclusion would be nice.
This chapter needs some severe editing, fyi.
Chapter 12:
“Is this really happening?”
Ghost asked, brandishing the ivory-colored envelope. It was
addressed to The New York Guardians, 90 Park Avenue, New York NY.
The return address was somewhere in Washington, DC. “A party?”
“It's not a party,” said
Evermind as she leafed through the contents of the letter. “They're
strategy meetings and a Metahuman solidarity and unity summit.
That's what they're calling it, anyway.”
“And what pencil-pushing
idealist came up with that name?” Hothead asked.
“Someone who probably gets paid
more than us,” Speedster said solemnly.
“No, really. Seriously.”
Ghost waved the envelope around, hoping it would get everyone's
attention. “How can they expect us to take this war seriously if
they want us all to go to this event?” He stopped himself from
putting unnecessary sarcastic emphasis on the word 'war'. There was
no other word for what it was, but there was something awful about
calling it that. It was not a war. It was the heroes desperately
trying to respond to terrorist strikes across the country. The
Vietnam of my generation. “Won't
we all just be vulnerable if all the heroes are present?”
“They
won't be,” Evermind explained, still not looking up at Ghost. She
drummed her nails against the kitchen counter while Brick gathered
things for dinner. Speedster kept dashing in and out between the
kitchen and the Situation Room where he was on duty. The pressure in
Ghost's ears kept changing from Speedster's rapid air-shaking
movements, a complaint of pain building up in his head. “It'll
likely just be the team leaders and tacticians. Private meetings and
public events. Two days. The home teams will be bolstered by
additional armed forces.”
Ghost
was not convinced.
“You're
not convinced,” said Evermind as she flipped the letter over.
“No.”
Evermind
sighed and went on reading. Ghost floated over to the couch,
grabbing Super America
from the side table. “So who's going?” Hothead asked as Ghost
thumbed the volume open to the bookmarked chapter: DMR
Restructuring. It was in 1980 when the Department of Metahuman
Regulation and the American superhero saw its first glimmer of real
change in over twenty years. With Mikeal Gorbachev as premier of the
Soviet Union, the Russian state Metahuman program had reached-
“Myself, of course,” Evermind
said. Ghost glanced over the top of his book at the other three.
No, four. Speedster had just run in again.
“What about me?” he asked,
nearly bouncing up and down in excitement.
“You'll be more useful here,”
Evermind told him.
“Translation:” Hothead said
in a stage whisper to Speedster, “you'll be a liability there.”
Ghost slunk back behind his book,
hiding a smirk. Speedster would probably love nothing more than to
be in DC, schmoozing with senators at fancy cocktail parties,
dazzling important people with his supposed wit and charm, flirting
with wealthy and powerful women, and all in front of the cameras.
The brief thought of Speedster in
private with some pretty woman sent a jab of jealousy through Ghost's
stomach. It was the sort of thing that happened all the time, as he
and the gossip columns well knew. For some reason, he found himself
caring now.
He went back to the book, but
somehow he'd lost his place. He frowned and started at the top of
the page again.
“Actually, I thought I'd bring
Ghost.”
Ghost jolted up. “Wait, what?”
“We have a winner,” Hothead
grinned.
“Why me?” Ghost asked as the
others all looked at him.
Evermind put the letter down on
the counter and addressed him from across the room. “I think
you'll be able to offer a valuable insight to the process. That, and
a change of scenery and roles might be beneficial for you. You may
actually enjoy it, you know.”
Ghost sincerely doubted that.
Locked up in strategy meetings with a bunch of other recruited
heroes, stodgy politicians and generals? Geez, what could possibly
be more fun than that? “Why not you and Brick?” Ghost asked.
“I need Brick to remain here in
New York,” said Evermind. “Chain of command.”
“Suits me,” Hothead said.
“Don't worry, Ghost,” Brick
said when Ghost slouched back into the cushions. “I think it'll be
a great experience for you. You'll be doing important work.”
“Sure,” he muttered. “Just
like I am now.” He felt himself turning invisible and made no
effort to stop it. Why should he? He realized he was being
childish. Selfish, even. This was supposed to be something big and
he'd been chosen to help with it and all he could think about was how
much he didn't want to do it. Guess that was part of the whole
package deal. Be a superhero, do what your team leader tells you to
do. Heroes in comics never had to go to meetings and summits. But
Ghost was quickly learning that there was a lot they didn't show you
in comic books.
He barely paid attention during
dinner, even though Brick's food was good. He didn't say a word to
anyone before he climbed into bed. Sleep was a long time coming, and
when he finally nodded off, the patterns of New York lights playing
across his window flashed behind his closed eyelids. He was woken in
the morning by Evermind, her brisk knocking breaking apart his dream.
“Alright, alright,” he muttered as he dragged himself out of
bed. He tried to remember his dream, but all he could recall were
flashing lights and the approaching footsteps of...something. He
mumbled and muttered through Evermind's instructions and details as
he shoved clothes and books into a duffel bag. Evermind's luggage
was a sleek grey suitcase, the clasps sporting the Guardians' G.
The rest of the team waved them
off. “We'll try not to blow up the city while your gone,” said
Hothead. Unamused, Ghost just nodded. Evermind said, “Ha ha,”
and swept onto the elevator. Olivia Lopez held them up in the lobby,
wishing them luck and safe travels and other stuff. Ghost stopped
paying attention after the first minute.
Grand Central Station was at the
end of the block, so it only took a few minutes to make it and even
less time to be whisked ahead to their awaiting train. They got less
attention from bystanders than Ghost had expected. He attributed it
to the early hour and their street clothes.
“Don't be in such a funk,”
Evermind said to him once they were seated. First class. Ghost
stretched his legs out as far as they would go, then sunk lower in
his seat to stretch out even further. “It's going to make the
whole experience much less pleasant.” Ghost's response was to hide
from Evermind behind his book. “Do you know why I wanted you to
come?” she asked him.
“I guess.”
“Beyond the fact that I
couldn't leave Hothead in charge of the Guardians, I thought you
would be the most useful.”
Ghost put the book down,
genuinely intrigued. “Better than Brick?”
“Different skills,” she said.
The train was rumbling along now, Manhattan's skyscrapers vanishing
and replaced by low buildings and marshes. “You'll be good with
the people, Ghost. You're young and people respond to that.” She
crossed her legs and clasped her hands. “Perhaps you haven't
noticed, but the Guardians haven't looked their best since the start
of the war. I think you'll be able to help with that.”
Ghost felt part of him inside
swell with pride. That small vote of confidence from Evermind meant
more than he'd realized it would. And then, just as quickly, it
deflated. He was being used as a simple PR stunt. And why should
what she said matter? Was he being strung along, following the
glowing lure of a brief compliment to make up for everything else?
Well, forget it. He made a point to exchange as few words with
Evermind as possible for the rest of the trip. For her part, she
didn't seem to mind.
Four hours later when they
stepped off the train in Union Station they were immediately hauled
aside by security guards, military men in fatigues with concealed
guns. They walked beside them, their steps brisk, their faces stern.
“Why are they here?” he asked
Evermind as softly as he could. The clap of military boots against
the floor and the loud sounds of trains and passengers around them
almost drowned him out.
“Protection,” Evermind said.
“This is somewhat of a covert operation. Unannounced. If Nucleon
knew so many important Metahumans were in one place together...”
She left the rest unsaid. “The security's additional protection.”
Ghost felt that the addition of
two armed men made their presence even more obvious, but he
kept silent. Said guards escorted them to a taxi outside the
station, and then they were whisked away to a hotel. Ghost had never
been to DC before, and he found himself glued to the window, watching
the city around him. In the window's reflection he could see
Evermind looking at him.
They barely had time to establish
themselves in their hotel (something fancy and doubtlessly expensive,
if the minibar in his room could be trusted; Ghost was tempted to
take the king-size Snickers just for the DMR to pay for it) when they
were swept away by a government escort to the Pentagon. Dressed
again in their uniforms, they were pushed through the endless
security checks. It took the Guardian's ID card, a metal scanner,
and a DMR telepath to see them through. Ghost watched in quiet
amusement as Evermind stared down the government psychic, innocuous
in her jacket and skirt. The psychic probe lasted only two seconds,
but Ghost walked away with a sharp pain between his eyes.
“As if they don't trust us,”
Evermind muttered as they were shown down the white halls. “Really
unnecessary.”
Ghost decided not to say
anything. He knew Evermind's objection was to being mentally scanned
herself. Funny how much she objected to it. Evermind gave him a
sharp look and Ghost looked away, praying that she hadn't heard him.
The meeting took place in a large
windowless conference room. Ghost estimated about fifty people
present, and even with the meeting agenda before him he had no idea
what was going on. Every fact was disputed, every idea struck down
and counter-proposed and hailed once again. Ghost found himself
watching people instead of listening. At one end sat a man and a
woman in the dark green of the West Coast Warriors. Deluge and Miss
Amazing, he thought. Psychout of the Rough Riders. Captain Chicago,
who waved and winked at Evermind and Ghost. Ghost took to scribbling
on the back of his agenda.
“We can't support the
production of more R1,” some member of the DMR blustered.
“Why not?” Deluge asked.
“It's outside of our budgetary
limits!” the man insisted. Secretary Chapman agreed.
“Why shouldn't we use them
against Nucleon? It would have to work!” Several others agreed.
Ten minutes later a decision
still hadn't been reached. Chapman suggested calling in an expert
from Lynch Labs, which led to another hearty round of debate.
Privately, Ghost wondered if this
sort of thing would go faster if not for the superheroes present.
Too many egos squashed in too small a space. He felt suffocated by
it.
“Well, that was productive,”
Evermind said when they left. Ghost couldn't tell whether she was
being sarcastic or not.
And that evening they had more to
do. No rest for the wicked. Or the famous, in this case. Ghost and
Evermind traded one set of uniforms for another; this time, fancy
dress clothes. There was something horribly awkward about adjusting
his tie (blue and white) in front of the mirror while Evermind looked
on.
“Lovely.” She wasn't wearing
her sunglasses, but her eyes had been done up with striking makeup.
Ghost found himself somehow unwilling to meet her gaze. “Remember,
Ghost, this is your time to shine. Chat everyone up.”
“Why?”
“To get them to like us. To
get them to aid us.”
“But what do we need?”
“I'll tell you as I figure it
out,” she said.
If the combination of politicians
and heroes in the Pentagon had been odd, it was even stranger at an
uptown club, where humans and Metahumans alike mingled, all dressed
in their best and conversing over h'or devourers. Evermind glided
through the crowd, glass of champagne in one hand, perfectly at home.
Ghost huddled up in a corner of the room near the main door, doing
his best not to turn invisible. What had she been thinking? What
made her think that he'd be good at socializing with so many people,
making small talk with other heroes and elected officials? She
should have brought Brick.
Well, there are some perks,
he thought as he grabbed a small spinach-and-feta pie from a passing
waiter.
*Ghost!
The Los Angeles representatives are nearby. Go on.*
Prodded
on by Evermind, he found Deluge and Miss Amazing close by. “Hello,”
he said, and when neither turned to him, he repeated himself, a
little louder. “Hey.”
Deluge turned. He'd slicked back
his blond hair, and a set of pinkish gills gaped from the side of his
neck, just visible over his shirt collar. “Salutations,” said
Deluge with a smile. Ghost nodded to him. “Guardians, right?”
he asked, with a glance at Ghost's tie.
“Yeah. I'm Ghost.”
“Ghost, huh?” Deluge held
out his hand, and Ghost shook it as briefly as he could. “How long
you been on the team, Ghost?”
“Three years, now.” God, had
it been that long?
“It's been a while since I was
in New York,” Deluge said. “You know, I was considered for team
leader of the Guardians, back when Sentinel retired. I hadn't been
in the game long, but the bigwigs at the DMR thought I had the right
stuff. Now, they said that I would be great for a team leader even
though I was only twenty-six. Well, eventually they figured my
powers would be better suited out in LA, and hey, I'm glad they
waited to make me a team leader, because age and deceit will always
trump youth and skill.”
Ghost blinked, utterly unsure of
what to say. He settled with, “Okay.”
“Best part is being out west
let me meet my lovely wife Cora.” Deluge put his arm around Miss
Amazing's shoulder. “You know, when I met her-”
“Save it, John,” Miss Amazing
said. “You've told that story a million times.”
“But he's never heard it
before!”
She made an indistinct noise in
the back of her throat. “I have, and I'm right here.” Her long
brown hair had been done in elaborate waves and curls, the way she
looked in her official pictures and interviews, minus the usual
domino mask. Ghost doubted she did much crime fighting the way she
looked on TV. “Are you enjoying yourself, Ghost?” she asked.
Ghost shrugged. “I guess.”
“Not the best strategy meeting
I've ever been to,” she said. “Pretty scattered. We'll figure
something out, but for now, I think this is a pretty nice gathering.”
“Not quite the same as our
wedding reception, eh?” Deluge asked her. He smiled and leaned in
close, whispering something into her ear. She rolled her eyes and
said, “John!”
“I'm serious!” he said. “I
know this is official government business, but they could seriously
do with a little music. Some Stones, some Grateful Dead, you know?”
“That's not quite
why we're here.”
“So we should just resign
ourselves to a boring party? A party without-”
“Pretty much,” she said,
cutting him off.
He pulled a long face. “That's
no fun.”
“Sorry.” The twinkle in her
eye and the tiny smile she flashed her husband undermined the flat
tone of her apology.
Ghost wondered whether they'd
always been like this. They'd only been married for a few years, an
event that the media jumped all over. Had about as much coverage as
a presidential election or a royal marriage. It had been, in a
sense. The guest list had included celebrities, superheroes, and the
mayor of Los Angeles. Even before then, the tabloids had been filled
with photos of the two of them flirting and fighting. Pictures of
Deluge and Miss Amazing grabbing coffee together! Wearing civilian
clothing on the beach! Look, they have to eat and breath just like
you and me! Just like regular humans do!
It wasn't often that Metahumans
were married; a life of superheroics didn't leave much time for other
things. But somehow Deluge and Miss Amazing had hit it off and found
time to lead their team and maintain an apparently successful
marriage. Rumors were still swirling about when they'd have a child,
if ever. Having Miss Amazing out of commission for months on
maternity leave would be disastrous for California's defense. What
concerned Ghost far more was what their potential child would be
like. Every other superhero Ghost knew had grown up in a normal life
before being swept away to serve under the MPA. Any child born with
famous figures as parents would never have a normal life. They'd be
a superhero in training from day one, born a sidekick. The kid
probably wouldn't even have a normal name. It would just say 'Amazo'
or 'The Astonishing Superkid' on its birth certificate.
Ghost
shifted his feet, eager to be away from the couple, when he spotted
someone across the room. “Sorry,” he muttered, and pushed his
way through the crowd. “Hey! Lightshow! Hey!” He nearly
stepped on the toes of some tall and important-looking man, past
Evermind deep in conversation with some New York senator, (“Of
course, it would mean a lot to the Guardians and the people of the
state of New York if our jurisdiction was expanded beyond the five
boroughs...”), past someone with an Atlanta Liberators lapel pin
laughing at some politician's joke, and to Lightshow. “Hey.”
She
smiled at him, braces flashing blue and red. “Hey, Ghost.”
“I
didn't know you were here,” he said. “You weren't at the
meeting.”
“No,”
she said, “Captain Chicago had me go to a congressional meeting.”
She wore a dark blue dress, and Ghost noticed that her ears were
pierced with little pink studs.
“Lucky.”
He put his hands in his pockets, unsure of what to say next. “Hey.”
“Yeah?”
“I just realized, I don't know
your name,” he said. “Your real name, I mean.”
“It's Allison,” she said with
another smile.
“Oh. I'm Billy. Well,
William, really, but my mom was the only one who called me that.”
“Billy. Okay.” She paused
for a beat. Ghost scrambled for something to say during the
interminable stretch of silence. “Why Billy, instead of Ghost?”
she asked, to his relief. “I think it's a good codename.”
“Oh. Thanks.”
“I wanted to be Spectrum, but
there's already someone registered with that codename, and I wasn't
allowed to use Rainbow Bright.”
Ghost shrugged. “I dunno.
Sometimes I get tired of being called Ghost. I was Billy for so long
and then I was given another name.”
“Like a nickname.”
“But worse.”
“I'm so used to Captain Chicago
and the others calling me Lightshow that I don't mind anymore.”
She
was missing the point entirely. “And that doesn't bother you?”
“It
did,” she said. “Not anymore.” Ghost frowned. “So, how
have things been back in New York?” she asked.
“Okay.
Could be better. There hasn't really been anything since the whole
30 Rock thing.”
“We
just had an attack,” she said. “In Ann Arbor. Not connected to
Nucleon, just some unregistered Metahuman with anti-MPA ideas. He
could control plants. He had trees walking all over the city,
attacking buildings and scooping up people.”
“Heh. Ents gone bad.” He
chuckled at his own joke.
Lightshow gave him a curious
look. “What gone bad?”
“Ents. Tree-herders. Lord
of the Rings. J.R.R. Tolkien.” Ghost gestured wildly through
the air to express his exasperation, almost hitting a passing waiter.
“Sorry. Have you really never heard of them?”
She shrugged. “Sorry. I
haven't read the books.”
“Geez, really? Okay, I mean,
if you're not into fantasy, I get it...”
“I've read The Chronicles of
Narnia. Does that count?”
“Sure. I've read those, too.”
Ghost felt a strange sense of relief at this revelation. Something
in common. “Favorite one?”
“Two,” she answered promptly.
“Not six? Come on. No one
else likes six.”
“I haven't read them in a
while,” she explained. “Middle school, I think? I really like
them, but I haven't had time to reread them between field work,
training and tutoring.”
“Eh, don't bother. They sort
of lose their magic once you get older and you figure out they're
just thin Christian allegory.”
“I already knew that,” she
said. “But I still enjoyed them.”
Ghost bit back the onslaught of
retorts he had. Normally he'd want to pick the argument apart,
discuss C.S. Lewis's works as they pertained to modern literature and
fantasy, the inherit issues of religion and sexism and ham-handed
symbolism, but he didn't. What if it scared her off? He wasn't
about to give her, the only superhero his age he'd ever met, the
impression that he was an opinionated jackass.
Which I sort of am, so yeah.
But still.
“Cool.” He glanced away from
her, watching the knots of people mill around them. He tried to
catch snatches of their conversations, but it was all just muddied
noise. “Hey. Um, Allison?”
“Yeah?”
He exhaled. “Nothing. Just
wanted to call you that.”
“Oh.” She tugged at her
ponytail.
“You know. A normal name. Do
you ever just want to be called Allison, sometimes? Do you ever
want...you know...everything back the way it was?”
He waited for her response, his
nerves tingling. His question had been perfectly innocent, but he
felt as though he'd just broached some sort of forbidden subject.
What was he waiting for?
Lightshow
tipped her head back, looking at the chandeliers and dark wood
ceiling. When she spoke, her voice was so quiet Ghost almost missed
it. “I don't know.”
The
voices around them died down as a man walked up to a podium in front
of the room. There was a polite scattering of applause as he took
his place and all present turned to him. Ghost was grateful for the
distraction. He delivered some generic greeting, thanking everyone
for coming and being a part of this historic and important event.
“I'd like to introduce now a man entirely devoted to this cause.
The man without whom this could not have happened. Please welcome
Senator Spencer Alan!”
Lightshow
stood on her toes as everyone clapped, straining to get a look at the
podium. Ghost clapped, once.
“Senator
Spencer Alan!” the man repeated after ten seconds. The applause
died down. People started to look around. They muttered. Ghost
felt the back of his neck tingle.
“Senator
Alan?”
Hey Josh,
ReplyDeleteI get a really scattered feel from this chapter. There are a number of errors, and while there are some standout lines and touches of worldbuilding, I could use more description to ground each scene.
The first meeting passes in a flash, I get no sense that Ghost and Evermind are important to it, and I'm not sure what's being discussed or why it's important.
The big part is better, but it really needs some descriptions. Give us a sense of the room, and of the scale and the glitz.
Overall, one of the weaker chapters so far. That said I still enjoy Ghost a lot, and it's great watching him talk to Lightshow.